This is a step by step guide to install the diagnostic software called Carsoft on to your computer so you can diagnose and reset different features on your BMW.
For a total of $64.46 to buy the cables and interface, you will be able to check all of the various modules in your BMW. You will also be able to find out why your check engine light is on and reset it. Your airbag light can also be checked and reset with this setup. I have personally installed this on a Windows 7 64bit system and a Windows XP 32bit system.
First, you will need to purchase a Belkin USB to Serial adapter cable to connect your computer to the Carsoft interace. This cable can be purchased for $18.47 shipped from Amazon
Next, purchase the interface and cables to connect from the serial adapter to your BMW so you can run diagnostics, reset adaptations, reset air bag light, etc. You can purchase the interface with cables from obd2-scanner.com
for $45.99 shipped.
After you have received your cables, follow this guide step by step and you will be on your way to diagnosing your BMW on your own.
- DO NOT PLUG IN ANY CABLES YET
- First, click on your start button (Windows Logo) and click on "Computer".
- When the window opens, double click on your main drive which is usually "Local Disk (C:)".
- Right click on the right side window pane and create a new folder. Name the new folder "diag".
- Download the Carsoft file "Carsoft 6.5.06 for Windows 7.rar". You can get this file here. Just click on the blue button that says "Download Now" and download the file to the "diag" folder we just created. If you are asked for a password, it is "help".
- Download the drivers for the Belkin USB to Serial cable here. Be sure to choose the correct file for your operating system and download it to the "diag" folder.
- Navigate to your "diag" folder and look for the driver file for the Belkin USB to Serial cable and double click on it to install it.
- Now, you will need a program to extract "rar" files. If you do not have one, you can download and use WinZIP for free. Download this file here and place it in the "diag" folder.
- Now, go to your "diag" folder and click on the winzip file to install it. Be sure to remove the check mark next to all of the garbage that winzip will try to get you to install.
- When finished installing winzip, close the winzip window.
- Go to your "diag" folder and click on the carsoft rar file. When WinZIP opens, choose "Use Evaluation Version" and then click on the UnZip icon and extract the files to the current folder. Close the WinZIP window.
- Inside the "diag" folder, click on the folder called "Windows 7".
- If you are using Window 7, copy the folder "CARSOFT" to C:\Program Files (x86)\
If you are using Windows XP, copy the folder "CARSOFT" to C:\Program Files\
- For any version of Windows, copy the other folder "cm75f" to C:\
- Navigate to your C:\Program Files (x86)\CARSOFT folder and look for a file called CARSOFT65BMW.exe and right click on this file and choose "Send to > Desktop" to create a shortcut to the file. Windows XP users will remember that your CARSOFT folder is located in C:\Program Files\.
- Close all windows and restart your computer. When your computer has restarted, come back to this guide to complete the setup.
- Now that you have restarted your computer, go ahead and plug your Belkin USB to Serial cable into one of your USB ports. Wait for the computer to finish detecting the adapter. Do not connect to the diagnostic interface yet.
- Now click on your "Windows Logo" on Windows 7 or your "Start" button on Windows XP and click on "Computer"
- Right click on the highlighted Computer word in the left pane and choose "Manage".
- After the Computer Management window opens, click on Device Manager on the left pane.
- Now on the right pane, click the arrow next to "Ports (COM & LPT)" to expand that section.
- You should now see the Belkin USB to Serial Cable listed here. Double click on this and a window will open.
- Click on the tab at the top of this window that says "Port Settings" and then click on the button that says "Advanced".
- After the window opens, make sure the "COM Port Number" on the bottom of this window is set to "COM 1". If it is not, change it to "COM 1" and then click the "OK" button. When that window closes, click on the other "OK" button to close that window.
- You can now close all windows that are open except for this window of course.
- You are now ready to hook up to your BMW and run diagnostics.
- Plug the Belkin USB to Serial cable into the diagnostic interface.
- Open the hood on your bimmer and plug the round 20pin connector into the diagnostic port usually on the left side of your engine.
- Put your key into the ignition and turn it all the way on without started the BMW.
- Click on the CARSOFT65BMW icon now located on your desktop and start the program. From there, everything else is self explanatory.
- You can now uninstall the WinZIP program from your computer if you like as it is no longer needed.